Saturday 4 June 2011

Isaiah Michael

Isaiah entered the world on January 23rd,2007 almost 5 wks early and weighed 5lbs and 15oz. He was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen and made the horrible pregnancy I endured worth every minute.I was told at my 12 wk ultrasound that "the baby" might have Down syndrome based on his neck measurement.I had already had 2 miscarraiges and would never have done anything to risk losing this baby so I refused the amnio ,went home and read about DS for about 6 hours online ,went to work the next day and as I was walking from my car I saw a daycare group walking towards me.The kids were all holding onto one of those ring things but the last little boy in the line ,holding the teachers hand was the cutest little boy who happened to have Down syndrome and the biggest grin on his face. I truly believe that God sent me a sign to let me know that everything was going to be alright. I already knew in my heart that I was having a boy and that confirmed it for me.I spent the rest of my pregnancy learning about DS and all was fine until my 18 wk ultrasound when they discovered that my baby BOY (I was right of course) not only most likely had DS but he also had what is called a Duodenal Atresia which is a blockage of the bowel that would require surgery immediately after he was born.And to make matters worse he would have to have this surgery at a hospital 5 hrs away from home in a different province.And on top of all of it the doctor was pretty sure he also had a hole in his heart (which about 50% of babies with DS have).The rest of my pregnancy SUCKED ! I was already stressed out ,nauseaous,had major heartburn,major fluid retention due to his Duodenal Atresia,was hugely fat and uncomfortable and had to stand all day long at my job.I spent most of my pregnancy praying that the baby would make it and praying that if he did make it that he would survive the sugery.Obviously he made it through his first surgery ,he was quite the trooper really.He spent the first 3 wks of his life in the hospital and the day we brought him home was one of the best days of my life. I cannot imagine my life without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment